Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Munich Inner city

"There must be more to Munich than this," I said to myself as I drank my espresso looking out the cafe window.
Munich Street
I had taken a shortcut to the city via an underground walkway and had popped up in a nondescript area that looked nothing like the brochures. My little YMCA map showed what appeared to be a long pedestrian street a couple of streets away, so I re-entered the tunnel and made for the opposite side, walked up the moving staircase and suddenly I was there, in the Munich of the brochures with old and ornate buildings.


Munich City Gate

Munich inner city
Munich inner city 2

The main shopping street in the center of Munich extends several city blocks. It is closed to traffic so it is peaceful and you can look at the historic buildings on either side at your leisure. There were few people about at nine but by 10 o'clock there were a lot of other tourists wandering about and taking photos. By lunch time people were sitting by flower stands resting their feet.
Sitting by the flowerpots
Munich inner city building


No comments: