Saturday, September 01, 2012

Austria is wet and cool

Before leaving Sydney I had seen television coverage of the heat and fires in Spain so I was surprised that Munich was cold (14C). It was also very wet and as my train to Graz sped through the landscape I looked out over sodden fields with puddled water and gushing rivers almost breaking their banks.

Swollen river between Salzburg and Bischofshofen
In Austria I had to change trains in Bischofshofen and was pleased my wait was only 15 minutes because it was even colder there.The Alps, soaring straight up from the railway line were very misty and romantic, a view easier to paint than photograph, but soon we were over the top and racing along wet green fields again, this time with typical Austrian Chalet houses.
Wet Austrian landscape
I wasn't surprised this morning when the television showed fresh snow on the mountain tops. Graz is wet but warmer - about 22C.
Austrian webcam: the caption at the bottom reads "Summer Operations from 21.06-16.09.2012"

No comments: