Monday, May 06, 2013

The Sydney Swans and I

Surrounded by a sea of red.
I was accompanied by a whole team of Sydney Swans (AFL football) when I flew from Wellington to Sydney on 26th. I had watched a bit of the demonstration game on TV the previous evening (AFL is trying to win some NZ fans I think and judging by what I saw I think they have a fair chance of success)  and it was rather odd being surrounded by the same faces.
They seemed a pleasant bunch of people - I was rather surprised. All the adverse publicity Australian football teams are getting at the moment has obviously influenced me. One of the players had a baby strapped to his chest while another spent a long time showing his seat neighbour photos of a baby on his mobile phone. That's the side of them we don't hear so much of. (Or perhaps I don't read the right publications.)

No comments: