Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Framley Parsonage

The cover of Framley Parsonage shows that I bought it for $3:50. I have forgotten where.

I read the first couple of chapters yesterday,, remembered the story ...then it was time for bed. I tossed and turned all night, remembering the silly young hero who wanted to be in with the in-crowd, signing his name to bills (I owe you's) for a 'friend', who was really no friend at all. He brought himself to the brink of ruin.

This morning I decided I would not read about his silliness but take the story up again where he came to his senses and told his wife his troubles.

It was easy to finish the book from there and tonight I'll hopefully sleep easier, having seen all the sympathetic characters rescue themselves and some of the doubtful ones as well.
Anthony Trollope wrote his book before George Meredith wrote his.. Trollope's books are so much easier to read and much more fun than Meredith's.. Also much funnier than Meredith's The Ordeal of Richard Feverel, and the humour has not aged.

No comments: