Friday, August 12, 2016

Mt Stewart reserve

Giant gumboot in Taihape
Taihape has made it's name as gumboot capital of the world with a giant corrugated iron gumboot sculpture and annual gumboot throwing competitions.

I took the competition with me when I left and we held gumboot throwing competitions at our street parties in Hamburg amid much mirth. If you have ever tried throwing a gumboot you'll understand about the mirth.
Path up through My Stewart reserve



Today I climbed the path up Mt Stewart which starts just behind the giant gumboot. It is a climb worth the effort because the path through the bush is lovely, though muddy and slippery at the moment.

The view from the top is stunning. You look out over the valley all the way to Mt Ruapehu is covered in snow today.
Mt Ruapehu with Mt Stewart
in the foreground.


No comments: