Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Wagner pops up everywhere

Last night I went to a performance of Wagner's Ring Cycle put on in St John's church, Frome by local schools. Having been very disappointed by the one hour whisk through the (16 hour!) Ring Cycle I saw recently in Sydney Opera House I was a little sceptical about a children's production.

I needn't have been. The production was excellent and I suspect whoever organised it has bred a generation of Frome citizens who will love Wagner's music. The fire music was particularly successful with a group of orange clad children bathed in orange light waving filmy orange textile 'flames' up and down. Viewed down the isle from the back of this lovely 13th Century St John's church, it was magic. A short sighted person would have thought the font was on fire.

No comments: