Monday, March 23, 2020

Lemons

In the interest of self preservation I am trying to avoid watching the news.  I find it too distressing watching the incompetence. It is hard to sign off because  my finger automatically reaches for the news on my phone and suddenly there are the lists of catastrophes.  I will have to retrain myself.

This afternoon I slept for an hour on the sofa, making up for two sleepless nights. I felt groggy, as you do if you sleep so long during the day, but I also felt better for the sleep.

I have had a bowl of lemons on the sideboard since painting them six weeks ago and I decided  to make them into lemon syrup.  They had been slowly drying out in their bowl, so the decision was overdue. I couldn't help thinking of the housewives of past generations who spent so much time making their own preserves. I suspect it is a habit that will reemerge as we reassess what is important.

Lemons in blue bowl


Destination compost



2 comments:

marcellous said...


E: retrain or restrain? Either works.

I broke my seclusion on Sunday with a trip to Bunnings. It was evident that a lot of people are resolving to put time at home to good use.

Elizabeth said...

Haha, yes either word works and I need to do both.