Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Hello Woolworths! How about selling loose veges?

You would think by  2020 the supermarkets would have worked out a way to sell things without packaging, especially organic veges, which are bought by folk who know the problems  caused by packaging.



At the supermarket this morning the woman working at the checkout counter couldn't get her reader to read the barcode. She asked me to read out the very small numbers she had to use instead. She complemened me on my eyesight and I said I wouldn't have been able to read the code without glasses. It turned out that she had had some glasses which had cost her $600, but she'd left them at the till for 2 minutes and someone had pinched them.  Really some people are swine.

I can't help thinking about this woman. She was older and would have had to work a long time at the Supermarket to save for them. She said she was not going to buy a replacement.

1 comment:

marcellous said...

Even if it is a grey area, you'd think Woolworths could come to the party here or at least chip in. Maybe she doesn't dare ask.

As for the veggies, things seem to be getting worse. Larger stores tend to have more loose produce than smaller ones. I suppose from W's perspective the organic garlic had to be packaged to distinguish it from a cheaper non-organic choice. A little mesh bag with the price label for scanning would be better and I doubt if there would be a serious tamper/swapping risk.