Friday, February 15, 2019

Shingles ...ba Humbug

I had been waiting for Shingrix to arrive in Australia. It is a vaccine against shingles that is very effective.   The current alternative is not so very effective. Turns out I waited too long. B*gger#*#.


I am lucky though that it is on my lower torso. Some people get it on the head. I am learning a thing or two about nerves too. Who knew that a single nerve fibre reaches from the spine to the tip of your finger? Or right around your half torso? . Shingles affects a nerve which is why the rash develops around your torso stopping exactly on the midpoint on both sides.

I always imagined that there are chains of nerves through the body. That's what comes of being a botanist rather than zoologist.

Incidentally, someone told me they'd had it twice, both times developed while on holiday. I think we don't realise how much stress our bodies are under on holiday.


No comments: