Thursday, February 18, 2016

Growing paintings

Picasso used to re-sign his paintings when he added to them so some of his paintings have several signatures. If I were to follow suit, my peaches painting would now have three signatures because it has grown once again.  When you paint something that seems incomplete it nags at you until you change it and the peaches painting has been doing a lot of nagging.

It started in December 2014 like this:
Peaches and glass bowl (20 x 10")
It sat quietly in the studio for a year, then suddenly earlier this month it morphed into this:
Peaches, pears and bottles. (20 x 20")
I hung it on a wall but it still wasn't very happy. It eyed the pumpkin vine growing in a vase in my studio and wanted some for itself. So now it looks like this:

Peaches, pears, bottles and pumpkin vine.
(20 x 30")
Like the vine, my paintings have a mind of their own and grow while your back is turned. I am hoping this one is now replete and happy to stay as it is. Perhaps it is time to sign it?

1 comment:

Liz said...

Yes, it is complete! Perfect.