Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Meccano for adults

You'd never guess so many nuts and bolts
are needed to make a table!
What is it about making Ikea furniture that is so appealing? I get a buzz from pushing in the bolts and screwing in the screws. They always fit and the pieces are drilled in a way that makes it hard to make a mistake. (When my kitchen installer was flummoxed by a cupboard attachment last year and suggested drilling extra holes, I insisted instead that we demount it and try again from the beginning. It turned out that one of the pieces was upside down and that if extra holes had been drilled the cupboard swing door would not have worked at all.)

This weekend I made a little table and felt again the thrill I felt as a child with my meccano set. Meccano and Ikea furniture have a lot in common, which is probably why I keep going back for more.

Table and chair

3 comments:

Rethink Street said...

I am notoriously bad at building things that require you to follow a set of paper instructions. To challenge myself, I made a bookshelf a while ago and I was SO thrilled with my success - only to discover when it came to put the shelves on that I'd done it wrong and had to start all over again. Grrrr.

Elizabeth said...

Ha ha ha! Yes I know that feeling!

Elizabeth said...

Ha ha ha! Yes I know that feeling!