Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Paintings - when are they finished?


Jugs, some hibiscus and a fairy
Before I can decide if a painting is finished or not, especially a larger work, I need to have it up on the wall for a few weeks. Over time things that are not right start to irritate me and then I take the time to find a solution.

At the moment I am surrounded by the set of small work which was painted over Christmas.

Squirrel, nectarines (white and yellow fleshed) and blue duck.
A larger canvas with a few lines sketched on it is now sitting on my easel. It has been there for three weeks and beckons to me each time I pass by. I know what I want to paint - it is just starting that is the problem.

3 comments:

Liz said...

I wish ceramics were so 'easy' to work with - when a glaze combo hasn't worked, mostly you don't get too many chances to get it right because each time the piece goes back into the kiln, you are working with glaze on top of glaze and all surfaces react with each other. The final outcome maybe not what you like but often nothing more can be done because the clay and glaze has reached the point of no return!

Elizabeth said...

Oh yes Liz, ceramics can be magic but they are like watercolours, very hard to retrieve once done!

Elizabeth said...

Oh yes Liz, ceramics can be magic but they are like watercolours, very hard to retrieve once done!