Sunday, February 03, 2013

A jacket for all time

A long time ago, when women were wearing clothes with large padded shoulders I bought an Escada jacket  It is 80% linen, 10%silk, 10% cotton which is a combination that never seems to crumple and I wore day in day out for several years. It was so beautifully made that I was never able to throw it away despite its unfashionable huge shoulders.

Today I undid the part of the lining that had been the last thing sewn up and turned it inside out. When you look on the inside of expensive European clothes you see why they are expensive. Everything is properly reinforced, the jacket can be turned inside out through a gap just wide enough, the sleeves are eased in with double tapes and, when you try to alter them, you find it is easy!

 In no time at all I had taken out one layer of padding (the foam had completely crumbled but the other wadding was intact), trimmed down the shoulders and sewn it together again.

That jacket reminds me of good washing machines that are easy to service and never wear out.

No comments: