Thursday, October 25, 2012

Installing new door handles

The handle of the bedroom door fell off soon after I moved into this house nearly two years ago and I have been meaning to get new handles ever since. A couple of weeks ago the local Aldi store had door handles for sale, so I bought a pair thinking that I could take them back if they didn't fit or were too difficult for a novice to install. But a bit of puzzling, a little filing to make the screw-hole in the handle slightly bigger, lots of fiddling to get the long screw to fit into the cap on the other side of the door and hey presto, I have a new door handle.

I was so impressed by my prowess in fitting door handles that I bought a second pair for the other bedroom door. They are well secured and I am much more comfortable knowing I will not be inadvertently locked into one of the bedrooms with a handle in my hand. The new handles are slightly retro, just like the house.
Old door handle

New door handle




No comments: