Monday, September 13, 2010

Post festival blues

Alas the Maribor festival is over. This evening's concert in the packed Maribor Cathedral was Rachmaninov then Mozart's Requeim.
The Orchestra and Choir of London singers got a standing ovation and now the players and singers are celebrating the end of festival in the KGB Club down by the river from whence I have just come. I came home early as the club is in a basement down a very steep flight of stairs and I decided it would be too easy to drink a glass too much and have difficulty getting to street level again.

The Slovenian Philharmonic leave after the party for Ljubliana and everyone else seems to be catching early trains out tomorrow. There is no commercial airport in Maribor so people train to Graz, Vienna or Ljubliana. I head off to Graz tomorrow then 12 hours on to Hamburg the next day. Twelves hours, but I'll have music in my ears and a head full of paintings.

PS The sketch is of cellist Jan-Erik Gustafsson.

No comments: