Saturday, March 07, 2009

Canberra

I've just been to Canberra for 2 days.

The people I met were unfailingly friendly when I asked directions, the trees are lovely and traffic is almost non existent. Despite these obvious advantages I find Canberra an odd place. It feels like an American small town and I suppose that is because it was designed by an American. The streets are far too wide for pedestrians to negotiate and the hanging baskets full of flowers are invisible as they hang in the middle of the main boulevard between rows of Eucalyptus trees that completely obscure them.

Canberra cafes there are full of well fed civil servants having little meetings. They all look so well washed, with shiny foreheads and freshly combed hair. Here and there you see a bright yellow tie with discrete little triangles and I got the feeling this might be the only little bit of individuality allowed in Canberra.

No comments: