Thursday, January 29, 2009

Full bath = 1/2 full washer

I wonder if I am the only person in Dunedin that uses my bath water for the washing machine? I discovered last year that the old and very inefficient washing machine in this apartment takes as much water per cycle as a FULL bath, and that is the middle setting. What is more, it sloshes the water about for about 3 minutes, then pumps it all out again.

Instead of getting upset about my inefficient washer I decided to make the most of it. On cold evenings I have wonderful hot baths then bucket the water into the washer. So I can bathe without being concerned about the energy bill. My double use strategy has an additional benefit apart from saving energy and promoting conscience free bathing. I like very hot baths which can make you giddy, but by the time I bucket the water through my (often very cold) hall I am cool again.

I must say I do look forward to using a machine that actually cleans clothes again, but in the meantime I am enjoying hot baths.

(check out this water efficient machine.)

No comments: