Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Kiri

Dunedin is a real surprise. I thought I would be hankering after the Australian Chamber Orchestra and the opera (well I am – it would be wonderful to have the ACO here) but I find there are lots of musical offering in Dunedin and it is all so accessible.

I have just seen the NZ Symphony Orchestra and Dame Kiri Te Kanawa. My ‘student’ seat was almost under the seats of the orchestra, but the advantage of seats like that is that you can see everything that happens and more.

The Town Hall was packed, even the upper-upper level, and Kiri got a great response. People are proud of her. She sang Mozart and Strauss and joined the NZSO under conductor Lawrence Renes to sing the end of Mahler's Symphony No 4 in G Major.

It must be a change touring with the NZSO after a career such as hers. Good on her, I say.

No comments: