Thursday, July 20, 2006

Food to die for

I hope one day to be able to return to the south of France even if just for the food which is exceptional. I bought bagettes in a little backery in Toulouse about 1pm on the afternoon of the world cup final. The bagettes were warm, just out of the oven (I think backeries bake twice a day) and I have never tasted bread with such a crisp exterior and succulent interior. Even when it dried out the bread was moist, unlike the 'french' bread rolls we buy in Sydney which turn papery when dry.

In the markets many stallholders sell just a few items, but they are invariably good. Food served in restaurants is fresh, plentiful and served to delight the eye, without being fussy.

I have decided that chefs are another form of musician. Perhaps I shall have to start drawing chefs.

No comments: